Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hot dogs and babies

This week's Iron Craft Challenge Theme was "hometown".   I asked the boy-who-would-rather-not-be mentioned (but is irritated when I don't), what first comes to his mind when I say "Chicago".   He said "hot dog". Fair enough.   My brother (or his wifey rather) is about to pop out my first nephew any day now and I've been meaning to do something with this white onesie I picked up at a baby consignment sale awhile ago... so Chicago hot dog oensie it was.

First, I looked up what exactly a Chicago hot dog contained...

Then I sketched this design while I should have been paying attention to the finer points of the regulation of CHO metabolism (I really should have been paying better attention... I barely got a B on that stupid test.  a B!)
Next I busted out my blue chalk, embroidery kit and  stitched away.  I attempted to make a stitch sampler of sorts, but I really don't embroider and know like 3 stitches.   During my time on the couch laboring away (again, while I should have been studying or thesis-writing), the following conversation occurred (note it's paraphrased... I have a horrible memory):

boy-who-would-rather-not-be mentioned:  "are you sewing that by hand?"
me:  "Yes,  I'm embroidering.  Sort of."
boy-who-would-rather-not-be mentioned:  *sigh*   "that's just another reason I have to marry you"
me:  "why?  So I can embroider your name on your underpants?"
boy-who-would-rather-not-be mentioned: "No.  It's a valuable life skill."

Hrm.   Maybe if I was born at least 40 years earlier.  I think he forgot the fact that I'm 1) awesome and 2) A kick-ass scientist that is going to invent a cure all super drug and and support him (or a younger version of him) someday.

Anyway this is what I came up with:



I'm pleased overall... although I would have done the tomatoes differently... I was attempting some loopy knot stitch, that didn't quite work.


Read more about Iron Craft here: http://theironcraft.blogspot.com

See all the other awesome projects here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1525156@N25/

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!! this is adorable!!!!! what a great gift!!! i love love love it!!! i saw you in the iron craft pool. i just had to tell you how awesome this is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. you crack me UP! 2. never underestimate sewing and cooking in your arsenal. (Along with your intellectual gifts, of course!) 3. the onsie is as cute as it can be! 4. congratulations on your impending Auntiehood. That is one of life's best jobs EVER!

    ReplyDelete