Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Pee Pee Tee Pee that never was (IC 10- The Fat Quarter)

Being as this is baby week (YAY!)   I decided it was necessary to create another baby inspired project.  The challenge this week was to use a Fat Quarter of material, which is roughly 18 by 22 inches.

Here are my starting materials
I used a piece of cotton sheet that was left over from backing a quilt and some star transfer iron-ons I picked up on clearance at Walmart a while ago.  I am really not allowed to purchase any more craft materials unless absolutely necessary, but I really can't ignore stud-like objects, especially when there are shiny and especially when they are on clearance.

I, of course, left the project until Tuesday night, when I was already in the middle of a full blown anxiety attack slash/hissy fit.   In my mind, if I cut out a circle, possibly cut that into triangles...then sewed it all back together.  it would make a perfect little cone.   Wrong.    The fabric was too flimsy... I didn't put enough thought into the actual engineering behind it.   I ended up with a flat circle, consisting of 4 triangles sewn together.   FAIL


I then decided to quickly re-purpose a random pair of fleece kids pajama pants I had laying around into a Squabbit hammock.



 Problem being, I didn't have any chain or grommets, or really anything to attach the hammock to the cage.  I tried to use old hoop earrings.   The Squabbits each gave it a WTF look... Stolie yanked it down and Belle tried to eat it.  EPIC FAIL.






At that point, I was pissed off and had already screamed unnecessarily at everyone I could.  So I went to sleep.   I came home at one today, thinking I would make a pillow or a little bag or something quickly.   I found some thick stretchy cotton material and figured I could make some arm warmers and embellish them.

I cut out a couple of strips in the diameter I needed, for my wrist and upper arm.   Cut a Fat Quarter out of the material.

Laid the two strips folded on a folded edge of the material and then connected them, tapering from wrist to upper arm.


Then I sat down to sew.   I was going to hem each end and then sew it up.  Easy.  But my sewing machine decided to be a little bitch and pick a fight with me.   I ended up throwing everything on the floor and quitting, decided this week I would not participate in the challenge, being it was already 2pm, I had class at 4 and then had to go to work.   Done.

I sat down and wrote up a lab report for this ridiculous 100 level cooking class I have to take as part of my RD degree.   That's a whole separate story for another day.   I could not stop thinking about the project and how it was almost a personal failure (damn type A personality) if I did not submit something.  So at 3:15, I attacked the sewing machine in a flurry of curse words and tears.     And ta da!

I was out the door at 3:47.  And I made it to class with 1 minute to spare.
Read about this week's challenge here: http://theironcraft.blogspot.com/2011/03/challenge-10-fat-tuesday-in-quarter.html

Oh.  I almost forgot.  As I said in the beginning,  this week was baby week!  I'm an Aunty!


Caleb John
Born 2:15pm 3/7/11
7lbs 15oz, 20in

1 comment:

  1. Good job on the arm warmers and congrats on being an Aunty!! He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete